Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Wanna Be Startin' Something

Welcome! I'm JP, and I'm gonna start this blog on a bit of a maudlin note, but I promise it won't stay that way. The purpose of this is to talk about movies, but that won't really start until the next post. The thing is, my grandpa died earlier this week. His name was Seymour (which is why Little Shop Of Horrors was a popular movie in my family and gave this blog its name and address), he was 88 years old, and I have been incredibly fortunate to have been able to know him for 35 of those years. I've been a movie buff my whole life, and he always encouraged me to talk and (especially) write about movies.

When I was in college, I would go to the movies as often as possible, usually several times per week. Every week, my grandfather requested that I e-mail reviews to him of everything I saw. He always encouraged me to keep writing about movies, and to keep him and my grandma updated on whatever was worth their time.

My grandpa had macular degeneration, and as a result he went blind over the last couple of years. Even though he couldn't physically see movies anymore, he still always wanted to know what I thought of them, and what was out there that would have appealed to him. The last movie I was able to see with him was J.J. Abrams' Star Trek reboot, which we both had a lot of fun with.

As much as I'm going to miss talking movies with grandpa, I'll always be grateful for the times we had, and for the talks we shared. This blog should pretty accurately reflect the reviews I sent to him back in my college days, except it won't only be for theatrical releases. Any time I watch a movie, I plan to write about it here. My reviews are pretty informal, and fairly rambly (as I imagine you have already gathered from this intro post). I use a four-star rating system, and while horror is my favorite genre, I'm open to any kind of movie, so if you have any suggestions of movies you'd like me to see or to write about, please post them in the comments. Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoy these as much as my grandpa always did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you are starting this! You always get me to look deeper into a movie or from a different perspective and I like that :) looking forward to more! Your g-pa would be proud & interested, as he always was. <3

JP said...

Thanks, that means a lot! :)