Monday, October 12, 2015

Scary Movie Month 2015 Day 12: The Editor

The Editor 

Man, that was incredibly well done. The Editor is basically Black Dynamite for Giallo fans and that's meant both descriptively and as high praise, because I love me some Black Dynamite. Equal parts parody (real parody, not Friedberg/Seltzer referential bullshit) and homage, this was clearly put together with tremendous affection for the genre it's sending up.

For those unfamiliar with Giallo, it's a very specific type of Italian horror mystery of which I am not generally a fan. I liked Bay of Blood a lot when I saw it for Junesploitation earlier this year, but Deep Red, The Bird With the Crystal Plumage, and the other handful of examples of the genre I've seen have mostly left me cold. I was wondering if it was even worthwhile to try watching this without being a fan of Giallo but I needn't have worried, it's a smart, funny, affectionate send-up that works on more than just the one level. That being said, it's jam-packed with all of the extreme gore, tarantulas, eyeball trauma, bold colors, bad dubbing, casual nudity, and Udo Kier that the genre is famous for.

The plot is just as densely packed with complete nonsense as the actual Giallos often are, and at times it's indistinguishable from the real thing (much like if you didn't know any better you might think a scene from Black Dynamite came from an actual 70s blaxploitation movie). The mystery is even pretty engaging and is played somewhat straight. I haven't seen anything else from the team behind this (Aston 6) but I will absolutely be seeking out their other work. This may be my favorite discovery of Scary Movie Month so far, and that's saying something because I really loved Deathgasm too. Between that, this, and The Final Girls it's been a pretty great year for horror comedies. I'm still laughing just thinking about The Editor. It ended about 10 minutes ago and I'm already trying to figure out when I'll have a chance to watch it again. During a month with so many movies to watch, I can't think of higher praise.

No comments: